Re: Hyper-Threading

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: lista(at)profit-ti(dot)com(dot)br, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hyper-Threading
Date: 2003-05-08 19:57:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've heard conflicting reports about HyperThreading in general
> ... by default, FreeBSD doesn't enable it (it originally did), as
> ppl were reporting performance degradation ... I'm using it on our
> servers, and haven't noticed any problems ...

Twiddle with the sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt, that seemed to make a
big difference in terms of power consumption, heat, and effectiveness
of HTT. As the previous poster suggested, HTT promises lots, but
delivers little. Search the archives on FreeBSD.org for a set of
rather large threads regarding this topic. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden