Re: UNIQUE boolean: only one row may be "true"

From: Michael Teter <michael_teter(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Randall Lucas <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNIQUE boolean: only one row may be "true"
Date: 2003-05-06 17:13:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Can you elaborate a little on what you want to do with this (as in, example
data, problem domain, etc.)?

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but without knowing more,
I would guess that you need a different design, not a 1-true,many false field
constraint.

Perhaps you want something like this?

Table A:
thing_groupid (primary key)
...other group info...

Table B:
thing_groupid (reference to A.thing_groupid, many to 1)
thing_id
...details about thing...

?

MT