WARNING on setAutoCommit

From: Daichi Ueura <daichi(at)lifeflow(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WARNING on setAutoCommit
Date: 2003-03-08 05:47:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

The following warning is shown on postgres log when you use
JDBC driver; Build 108, for PostgreSQL 7.3.x.

This is the server condition I use:
PostgreSQL 7.3.2
JDBC pg73jdbc3.jar(Build 108)
J2SE 1.4.1_01
RedHatLinux 7.2

When "auto commit" is set true, and I run Connection.setAutoCommit(false)
command in JDBC program, the following warning is shown on the PostgreSQL log;

WARNING: COMMIT: no transaction in progress

Because of the warning, I looked at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection#setAutoCommit(), and this program
was written as follows;

if (this.autoCommit == autoCommit)
return;
if (autoCommit)
{
if (haveMinimumServerVersion("7.3"))
{
//We do the select to ensure a transaction is in process
//before we do the commit to avoid warning messages
//from issuing a commit without a transaction in process
execSQL("select 1; commit; set autocommit = on;");
}
else
{
execSQL("end");
}
}

At the command line; execSQL("select 1; commit; set autocommit = on;");,
the program must finish and not record "warning" in the log even though
the program processes either during or at the end of the transaction.
As a matter of fact, the warning appears when the program runs "commit;."
The program doesn't begin a new transaction even though "select 1;"
has been executed,

I think if we change the command as follows,

execSQL("select 1;");
execSQL("commit; set autocommit = on;");

we can finish the transaction without the warning.

┛ Daichi Ueura

┛ Hiroshima City Univ, Department of Intelligent Systems.
┛ e-mail: (Private) daichi(at)lifeflow(dot)jp
┛ : (Office) daichi(at)neu(dot)co(dot)jp
┛ : (Univ) g23010(at)cr(dot)info(dot)hiroshima-cu(dot)ac(dot)jp