Re: Removing spaces

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Dave Smith <dave(dot)smith(at)candata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-General-List "(E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing spaces
Date: 2003-02-19 19:19:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 19 Feb 2003 5:07 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
> I have a field of type text that has a value like
>
> 'hello \nworld \n'
>
> I would like to remove the trailing blanks between the last character
> and the newline. I would like to use replace with a regx like
> /[ ]+\n/\n/ but it does not seem to work.

The replace function doesn't handle regexps AFAIK - you could look at
SUBSTRING() in the POSIX Regexp section of the functions reference but I
don't think that's going to do it either.

The problem is you seem to want to remove spaces after "hello" and "world" - I
think that means you need perl regexps or a loop.

Unless some posix guru steps forward, I'd say the easiest way is to build a
loop that repeatedly calls replace(my_string,' \n','\n')
--
Richard Huxton