Generating serial number column

From: Mintoo Lall <tlqmail(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Generating serial number column
Date: 2003-02-13 16:21:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Everybody ,

Is there a way in postgresql by which I can generate serial number column for the
resultset. I wanted the resulset to look like below

sno Name
-------------------
1 JOE
2 JOHN
3 MARY
4 LISA
5 ANN
6 BILL
7 JACK
8 WILL
9 GEORGE
10 NANCY
11 JANE
. .
. .
. .

My query is basically select * name from tblcontact. I wanted to generate
the column "sno" which basically numbers each row returned. Any help is
appreciated.
Regards,
Tarun