Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nicholas Allen <nallen(at)freenet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select
Date: 2003-02-13 15:17:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Nicholas Allen <nallen(at)freenet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I then commented out the line just to see if this would fix the problem. Then
> I rebuilt it started the server up and connected. I performed the count query
> as I described bfore and it worked perfectly! It did exactly what I wanted!
> Now obviously the code was in there for some reason but it seems that it is
> not necessary to check it in this case. There must be a bug here surely.
> MySQL also allows it so I don't think it is invalid SQL on my part. And the
> fact it works perfectly if I disable this check is very promising.

There is no bug here, or wasn't until you broke it. The given query is
illegal according to the SQL standard (MySQL is a fairly unreliable
guide to standard behavior :-(). It seems quite useless anyway:
"SELECT count(*)" will return exactly one row, so what's the meaning of
putting an ORDER BY clause on it?