Re: SQL syntax for concating values in different rows together

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Elizabeth O'Neill's Office Mail <elizabeth(dot)oneill(at)abcmail(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL syntax for concating values in different rows together
Date: 2002-12-10 16:10:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:27:34PM +0000, Elizabeth O'Neill's Office Mail wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone please help me.
>
> I have two tables in my database a complaint table and a resolution table.
> One complaint may have several resolutions. I am trying to build a report
> that will give me the complaint details and all the resolution descriptions
> for a complaint in one text area/row (concated together).
>
> At the moment it is repeating the complaint details for each resolution.

You could create a PL/pgSQL function that would take the id of the
resolution to query the complaints table and return the concatenation of
all the details.

That way you could just:

SELECT
id, foo, bar, concat_resolution_details(id)
FROM
resolutions;

I'd give it a shot at the function, but you didn't give the structure of
the table.

-Roberto

--
+----| Roberto Mello - http://www.brasileiro.net/ |------+
+ Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University +