Re: create or replace view

From: snpe <snpe(at)snpe(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create or replace view
Date: 2002-11-14 21:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 14 November 2002 05:45 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> snpe <snpe(at)snpe(dot)co(dot)yu> writes:
> > On Thursday 14 November 2002 05:22 pm, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >> Are you trying to save typing a few characters or what?
> >
> > Yes, it is 'create or replace view', not ?
>
> The statement was not invented to save a few characters of typing.
> It was invented to allow people to make internal changes to view
> definitions without breaking other objects that refer to the view.
>
> If we made it automatically drop and recreate the view then we'd
> be defeating the purpose.

Does it mean that if I will change any object (view or function) I must
drop all dependent objects ?
example :
I want change (number of columns) view viewa
If viewb depend of viewa, I must drop and create viewa and viewb ?

Does it possible that viewb stay temporary (or always) invalid ?
recreate viewa will make viewb valid or pgsql return error for viewb ?

regards
Haris Peco