Re: PLPGSQL language documentation

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Sandy Ear" <sear(at)la-rubber(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PLPGSQL language documentation
Date: 2002-07-09 17:11:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

Sandy,

> I was wondering if anyone knew of good online documentation on PlPgsql?

Read two things:

1. the online docs for PostgreSQL 7.2 under "Programmer's guide: Procedural
Languages"

2. Roberto' Mello's enhanced documentation, accessable through
techdocs.postgresql.org. Roberto also has a PLpgSQL function library that
should give you some good examples. However, this is entirely for Postgres
7.0 and 7.1, so there are some syntax changes in the current versions --
mostly workarounds that are no longer necessary.

Also, I found the first 4 chapters of O'reilly's book on PL/SQL programming to
be invaluable in helping me develop an organized approach toward manageing a
database using functions. However, the rest of the book is Oracle stuff not
supported by Postgres, so you decide if it's worth the $50.

--
-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533