Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date: 2002-04-12 22:15:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Well, our regression tests are not intended to test every possible
> > > NUMERIC combination, just a resonable subset. As it is now, I often
> > > think the regression tests have hung because numeric takes so much
> > > longer than any of the other tests. We have had this code in there for
> > > a while now, and it is not OS-specific stuff, so I think we should just
> > > pair it back so we know it is working. We already have bignumeric for a
> > > larger test.
> >
> > Bruce,
> >
> > have you even taken one single look at the test? It does 100
> > of each add, sub, mul and div, these are the fast operations
> > that don't really take much time.
> >
> > Then it does 10 of each sqrt(), ln(), log10(), pow10() and 10
> > combined power(ln()). These are the time consuming
> > operations, working iterative alas Newton, Taylor and
> > McLaurin. All that is done with 10 digits after the decimal
> > point only!
> >
> > So again, WHAT exactly do you mean with "pair it back"?
> > Sorry, I don't get it. Do you want to remove the entire test?
> > Reduce it to an INSERT, one SELECT (so that we know the
> > input- and output functions work) and the four basic
> > operators used once? Well, that's a hell of a test, makes me
> > really feel comfortable. Like the mechanic kicking against
> > the tire then saying "I ain't see noth'n wrong with the
> > brakes, ya sure can make a trip in the mountains". Yeah, at
> > least once!
>
> Jan, regression is not a test of the level a developer would use to make
> sure his code works. It is merely to make sure the install works on a
> limited number of cases. Having seen zero reports of any numeric
> failures since we installed it, and seeing it takes >10x times longer
> than the other tests, I think it should be paired back. Do we really
> need 10 tests of each complex function? I think one would do the trick.

You forgot who wrote that code originally. I feel alot
better WITH the tests in place :-)

And if it's merely to make sure the install worked, man who
is doing source installations these days and runs the
regression tests anyway? Most people throw in a RPM or the
like, only a few serious users install from sources, and only
a fistfull of them then runs regression.

Aren't it mostly developers and distro-maintainers who use
that directory? I think your entire point isn't just weak,
IMNSVHO you don't really have a point.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #