Re: timeout implementation issues

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jessica Perry Hekman <jphekman(at)dynamicdiagrams(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timeout implementation issues
Date: 2002-04-08 08:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 01:01:07AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > I didn't say "transaction specific". I said that if you do a SET inside
> > a transaction block, and then the transaction is aborted, the effects of
> > the SET ought to roll back along with everything else you did inside
> > that transaction block. I'm not seeing what the argument is against
> > this.
>
> I consider SET variables metadata that are not affected by transactions.
> I should be able to change my mind about my session preferences in the
> middle of a transaction, no matter what happens to the data in it. Say

I agree with Peter. For example I have multi-encoding client program
that changing client-encoding in the middle of transaction and this
change not depend on transaction. And the other thing: I have DB
driver in an program there is not possible do SQL query outsite
transaction.

Is there some problem implement "SET ... ON ROLLBACK UNSET" ?

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/