PostgreSQL on Windows or MS-SQLServer???

From: Philip Hallstrom <philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL on Windows or MS-SQLServer???
Date: 2002-04-04 19:43:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all -
We're developing a product that currently runs on freebsd, apache,
php, postgresql. I've been asked to look into what it would take to port
this product to Windows. Yes, I know all the reasons why we don't want to
do that and we're not planning on it, but if a client really wants it and
wants to pay for it, well, then we'll do it.

I've searched the lists and found a lot of "how do I install" postgres on
windows, but I haven't seen a lot of "how well does it work" posts.

Anyone care to comment on how well postgres on windows works (assuming
w2k)?

Would you recommend postgres on windows for a production environment?

Is it stable (as stable as Windows can be that is :)?

And if the above answers tend to be "no", can anyone give me a rough idea
of the pain involved in converting to MS-SQLServer? We use a lot of
triggers, keys, joins, stored procedures. I know I won't get specifics,
but just trying to get a general idea.

Thanks!

-philip