Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date: 2002-03-22 19:20:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> > BTW, is NULLABLE so ugly that no one wanted to comment on it?
>
> I kinda liked it, actually, if we were going to use the SET syntax.
> But people seem to be focused in on this "let's make it look like
> CREATE" notion. I'm willing to wait and see how far that can be made
> to work.

OK, how about:

SET CONSTRAINT NOT NULL

or

DROP CONSTRAINT NOT NULL

or simply:

SET/DROP NOT NULL

I think the problem with trying to get it look like CREATE TABLE is that
the plain NULL parameter to CREATE TABLE is meaningless and probably
should never be used. I remember at one point pg_dump output NULL in
the schema output and it confused many people. NOT NULL is the
constraint, and I think any solution to remove NOT NULL has to include
the NOT NULL keyword. I think this is also why SET NULL looks so bad.
"CREATE TABLE test (x int NULL)" doesn't look great either. :-) What
is that NULL doing there?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us