Re: Small question

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Joep deVocht <joep(at)masktools(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small question
Date: 2002-03-22 19:19:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> >
> > > I think it's time to add a little boolean function, that
> > > actually returns IsTransactionBlock(), and have a libpq side
> > > wrapper around PQfn() calling it.
> >
> > If you're in TRANSACTION ABORT state, I do not think that will work.
> >
> > Offhand this seems more of a protocol issue. A straightforward solution
> > would be to add a status indicator (with three states: out of
> > transaction, in transaction, in aborted transaction) to the
> > ReadyForQuery message, but we can't do that without a protocol change,
> > which is probably more trouble than it's worth.
>
> Yes, I was wondering if it was worth having the client call the function
> at the end of every query.

Who said that it'll be called after every query? It will
only be called when the application asks for the current
state. Sort of client side

bool PQisTransactionBlock(PGconn *conn);

I don't really see how that functionality could be a problem.

I agree with Tom so far, that it has to be in the FE/BE
protocol. It just seems none of us likes protocol changes.

Jan