Re: encoding names

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding names
Date: 2001-08-16 13:13:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:39:28PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > I have now some time for implement this my suggestion. Or is better
> > let down this for 7.2? You are right that it's trivial :-)
>
> I think you should target for 7.2.
>
> > Note: My motivate for this is that I have some multi-language DB
> > with Web interface and for current version of PG I must maintain
> > separate table for transformation "standard" names to PG encoding
> > names and vice-versa:-)
> >
> > Well, I try send some patch.
>
> Thanks. BTW, I'm working on for dynamically loading the Unicode

Sorry Tatsuo, but I have again question :-)

Why is here hole between encoding numbers?

#define KOI8 16 /* KOI8-R/U */
#define WIN 17 /* windows-1251 */
#define ALT 18 /* Alternativny Variant */

19..31 ?

#define SJIS 32 /* Shift JIS */
#define BIG5 33 /* Big5 */
#define WIN1250 34 /* windows-1250 */

It's trouble create arrays with encoding stuff, like:

pg_encoding_conv_tbl[ ALT ]->to_mic
pg_encoding_conv_tbl[ SJIS ]->to_mic

Has this hole between 19..31 some effect?

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/