Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: "Morten W(dot) Petersen" <morten(at)esol(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?
Date: 2001-02-27 13:56:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:49:25PM +0100, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm wondering if postgres could be capable of acting as a
> mail storage. This would imply storing messages, from
> 1KB to > 100MB in size. The expected volume is 4000
> messages a day, and the database may store up to,
> lets say, 500000 messages.
>
> Could postgres cope with this? (How is the support for
> big data fields now BTW?)

I don't see why it shouldn't work, since 7.1 supports an unlimited row
width. The question is: Why would you want to do that? A filesystem is
always faster than a database, which is usually a very important
consideration with a mailserver (or were you thinking about archiving
messages?).

Regards, Frank