syntax prob

From: "postgresql" <pgsql(at)symcom(dot)com>
To: "PgSQL-SQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: syntax prob
Date: 2001-02-24 02:24:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am away from my server for the weekend and I need a little help.

when doing updates of multiple fields there commas between
the elements?

I mean

update table set cname = 'Bill', caddress = '2nd floor' where acode =
'AVAN';

I refer to the space between 'Bill' and caddress.

if I could get to the server I would just try it. what happens if you have
only 1 field to update and you add a comma, like this

update table set cname = 'Bill', where acode = 'AVAN';

I am trying to concatenate an update string and I would love to not
have to worry about the comma. I guess I could figure out how many
things have changed then add commas... but I could also wish for it
to be easier.

Ted