Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names
Date: 2000-11-15 11:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> More to the point, I think we have to assume old-style interface if we
> see ... LANGUAGE 'C' with no other decoration, because any other
> assumption is guaranteed to break all existing user-defined functions.

Just successfully loading an old-style C function doesn't
guarantee that it works anyway. I pointed out before that the
changes due to TOAST require each function that takes
arguments of varlen types to expect toasted values. Worst
case a dump might reload and anything works fine, but a month
later the first toasted value appears and the old-style C
function corrupts the data without a single warning.

We need to WARN, WARN and explicitly WARN users of selfmade C
functions about this in any possible place!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #