Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot discussion

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot discussion
Date: 2000-07-11 12:58:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, J.R. Belding wrote:
> > As I learned more about the advanced features PostgreSQL offered, I
> > became concerned that MySQL might not be desirable for my application.
> > But I shortly realized that while PostgreSQL includes support for
> > advanced functionality such as Transactions, Subselects, Views, etc.,
>
> transactions:
>
> begin;
> select <value> from table;
> update <value> in table;
> end;

I never considered transactions an advanced feature. It's in
the basics of every relational database, coming in MySQL too
now.

The very first DB application I ever built for myself (using
PG 4.2 with a selfmade embedded PostQUEL preprocessor for C)
needed them already.

Might have an impact that I used Siemens ISAM files with
LEASY (a transactional layer with before/after image logging
capability on top of ISAM) in the BS2000 mainframe
environment for years before starting that project.

Anyway, I think the first thing anybody starting with
databases MUST learn is the concept of transactions! How many
people must be out in the world, considering themself an SQL
DB programmer, who learned the "basics" using past MySQL
releases? Father forgive them, because they don't know what
they do!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #