Re: Berkeley DB license

From: "Michael A(dot) Olson" <mao(at)sleepycat(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Berkeley DB license
Date: 2000-05-16 16:27:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 01:05 PM 5/16/00 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> So, basically, we rip out 3+ years or work on our backend and put an SQL
> front-end over top of BerkleyDB?

I'd put this differently.

Given that you're considering rewriting the low-level storage code
anyway, and given that Berkeley DB offers a number of interesting
services, you should consider using it.

It may make sense for you to leverage the 9+ years of work in
Berkeley DB to save yourself a major reimplementation effort now.

We'd like you guys to make the decision on technical merit, so we
agreed to the license terms you require for PostgreSQL.

mike