Re: MediaWiki and Postgresql?

From: "Ian Barwick" <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>, "Jerry LeVan" <jerry(dot)levan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL - General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MediaWiki and Postgresql?
Date: 2006-04-07 07:32:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/4/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> wrote:
(...)
> Given that this page:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:%24wgDBtype
>
> says:
>
> Use ""mysql"" for working code and ""PostgreSQL"" for development/broken
> code.

The documentation in the MediaWiki wiki isn't always up to date, I suspect.

> I'd guess that PostgreSQL support is not quite at the same level as
> MySQL just yet. :)

FWIW there's a file "includes/DatabasePostgreSQL.php" in the CVS head
versions of MediaWiki which has at the top:

/**
* This is PostgreSQL database abstraction layer.
*
* As it includes more generic version for DB functions,
* than MySQL ones, some of them should be moved to parent
* Database class.
*
* STATUS: Working PG implementation of MediaWiki
* TODO: Installer support
*
* @package MediaWiki
*/

(There's also "includes/DatabaseOracle.php" but it doesn't say
anything about status).

Ian Barwick