Re: LOG: could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOG: could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory
Date: 2016-08-26 00:29:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/25/2016 5:10 PM, Ahsan Ali wrote:
> yes it is older however we do apply security patches now a then.

redhat doesn't really support mixing packages from different releases,
they only test things with all packages from the same snapshot. "yum
update" should bring the whole system up to current.

> regarding max connection its the application design however it does
> not have that many active session.
> postgres=# select count(*) from pg_stat_activity;
> count
> -------
> 1818

so there were 1818 postgres client processes at the time it coudln't
create a new process. thats certainly a larger number than I've ever
run. if I have client software that has lots and lots of idle
connections, I use a connection pooler like pgbouncer, in transaction mode.