Re: Estonian PUG

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Ervin Weber <webervin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Estonian PUG
Date: 2016-11-01 14:22:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Ervin,

> On Oct 31, 2016, at 6:09 AM, Ervin Weber <webervin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am Ervin Weber from Tallinn, Estonia. Some of you may remember me from European PostgreSQL conferences.
>
> As we having quite a bit of interest in PostgreSQL in Estonia, and as there is some hype caused by European Conference being here just around the corner. Me and my collegues had created few additional "warm-up" events:
>
> http://blog.devclub.eu/2016/10/19/20-years-of-postgresql/ <http://blog.devclub.eu/2016/10/19/20-years-of-postgresql/> (free event, "sold out" in 30 hours)
> https://m.facebook.com/events/188448444927199 <https://m.facebook.com/events/188448444927199> (also free, basically just place where and when to meet and talk).

That is really awesome, congrats!
> Our goal is find and introduce to eachother local people, passionate around PostgreSQL. Possibly organizing us into some kind of local meetup group.
>
> We have no estimates on how many people we find, and how involved they remain over time, but we would like to get them into a mailing list, as in our opinion this is most universal non invasive medium available. While google group wold do, in spirit of community it would be better to be more official. Following instructions on postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org/> i am writing to this list to ask for posibility to create regional mailing list for Estonia,EE. Is there any possibility get such list + signup possibility working today, so it could be promoted in both events, and via lightning talk on conference itself?

We have not created any PUG mailing lists on the PostgreSQL email infrastructure for awhile for a slew of reasons (difficult to maintain, lack of use, tricky to decommission). We have found that groups are using various solutions:

* Meetup.com (most popular)
* Social network groups (Google, Facebook, etc.)
* Something customized

Once you have one of these setup, we can list you on the PUGs page https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>

Thanks!

Jonathan