Re: [HACKERS] LinuxPPC problems

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LinuxPPC problems
Date: 1998-09-03 16:50:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Here is current status.
> >
> > FreeBSD LinuxPPC(-O0) LinuxPPC(-O2)
> >
> > constraints GOOD NG NG
> > create_function1 GOOD GOOD GOOD
> > create_function2 GOOD GOOD GOOD
> > select_having GOOD GOOD GOOD
> > select_views GOOD NG NG
> > triggers GOOD GOOD GOOD
> >
> > After Bruce's, fix 4 NGs in LinuxPPC(-O2) turned to GOOD. Also, -O0
> > and -O2 now show same results. Excellent! Thanks Bruce.
>
> Ah, by Tatsuo's measures I'm getting similar results on Linux/i686 as he
> is getting on Linux/PPC. I have failures on constraints and
> select_index, but neither are core dumps, and both involve not finding
> tables (probably index or index cache corruption on pg_class). The other
> regression tests which fail are due to tables or information missing
> from the tests listed by Tatsuo or myself.
>
> btw, I'm pretty sure that the select_views problem pre-dates the OID and
> index patches.
>
> David made the recent observation that my symptoms are likely due to a
> damaged index, not a damaged pg_class table. So indices (or something
> related) are still suspect. Remember that at least one of my symptoms is
> from a table which had been destroyed and then recreated. Don't know if
> that is relevant...
>
> The only thing I haven't done yet to refresh source code is to pull a
> *completely new* cvs tree from postgresql.org. However, since I'm
> getting the same results as Tatsuo I think CVSup is treating me OK, so
> won't try that (yet).

I think downloading a new cvs is not worth it. It fixed a problem where
some people had fmgr.h in src/include because it must have been moved
since 6.3.2, and the first person to change the system catalogs(me)
caused the initdb problems.

Don't think it is a problem anymore as the people who had the fmgr.h in
the old location have removed it.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026