Re: [HACKERS] reverse file descriptor to a file name...

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] reverse file descriptor to a file name...
Date: 1998-04-10 21:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi...
>
> I want to add the filename (index) to the error message:
>
> FATAL 1: btree: BTP_CHAIN flag was expected (access = 0)
>
> At least then I can figure out which index to drop and rebuild,
> instead of having to do them all :)
>
> Now, looking at _bt_moveright(), it passes Relation, which, as
> part of its structure, has 'rd_fd', which I'm assuming is the open file
> descriptor for the index file its doing its search on...
>
> Is there a method of taking rd_fd and figuring out the file name
> it is associated with? I looked at fstat(), but that only appears to
> return everything but the filename :(

You can't get a file name from a descriptor, because there can be more
than one. The system just returns information about the inode, not
about the directory entries pointing to the inode.

For your purpose, you want:

Relation->rd_rel->relname

Works like champ.

This is not a trivial question, because the structures in PostgreSQL are
very complicated until you get used to them.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026