Re: Vacuum problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum problem
Date: 2002-08-12 23:30:53
Lists: pgsql-general

"Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com> writes:
> I have a problem with my database: whenever I do a vacuum I get a message
> that reads:

> NOTICE: RelationBuildDesc: can't open pg_temp_25807_9: No such file or
> directory
> ERROR: _mdfd_getrelnfd: cannot open relation pg_temp_25807_9: No such file
> or directory

> It seems that a temp table was dropped from the db without being deleted
> from pg_class.

Hmm. What PG version are you running?

> My questions are these: Is this an indication that there's something
> horribly wrong with my db? If I just delete the record from pg_class
> (delete from pg_class where relname='pg_temp_25807_9';) will I cause more
> harm to the db or fix the problem?

I'd say delete it, and also delete the similarly-named row in pg_type.
If you wanted to be really rigorous you could try cleaning out the
related rows in pg_attribute and other system tables, but getting rid
of the named pg_class and pg_type rows is probably enough to forestall
any problems.