Re: Custom sortation for file browser

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Custom sortation for file browser
Date: 2017-10-09 19:23:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On 10/06/2017 10:16 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com
> <mailto:xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> We probably want some kind of custom sortation for the file browser
> page at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
> <https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/>, so v10 is not the last
> entry...
>

> The file browser currently just sorts by filesystem order. I agree that
> it probably wouldn't hurt to do something about that, but it affects
> other directories as well (such as the binaries and the snapshots. Also
> a bunch of directories in the repo subdirectories, but I'm not sure we
> care about those), and they don't use the same naming conventions. So we
> need something that's more flexible than a quick-fix (which is why this
> hasn't already been done).

this would also be much less of an issue (for the /source/ version at
least) if we didnt actually display 320+ different "versions" on the
same page, thats just insane :(
This would for example be much easier if we like had one-directory per
major version or even split into "current" and "historical/unsupported/..."

Stefan