Re: Spinlocks and semaphores in 9.2 and 9.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spinlocks and semaphores in 9.2 and 9.3
Date: 2016-04-17 01:02:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> So at this point I'm not sure what to do. I could back out the back-patch
> of 44cd47c1d49655c5, which would mean accepting that 9.2/9.3 are broken
> and will never be fixed for HPPA, as well as any other architectures that
> use the same fallback memory barrier implementation. The lack of
> complaints from the field suggests that nobody would care. Or I could
> push forward by back-patching daa7527afc227443 (and a couple of minor
> follow-on cleanups). That doesn't seem particularly risky, now that
> 9.4's been out for awhile, but it's kind of a large back-patch to benefit
> architectures that apparently no actual users care about.

I went ahead and prepared and tested such a patch; the version for 9.3
is attached. (9.2 is identical modulo some pgindent-induced whitespace
difference.) This doesn't look too hazardous to me, so I'm thinking
we should apply it.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
backport-spinlock-sema-changes.patch text/x-diff 8.2 KB