Re: Extension Packaging

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Packaging
Date: 2011-04-24 22:03:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> On Apr 24, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm ... it's sufficient, but I think people are going to be confused as
>> to proper usage if you call two different things the "version". In RPM
>> terminology there's a clear difference between "version" and "release";
>> maybe some similar wording should be adopted here? Or use "major
>> version" versus "minor version"?

> I could "distribution version" =~ s/version/release/; Frankly, the way the terminology is now it's halfway-there already.

> So distribution semver release 1.1.0 might contain extension semver version 1.0.0.

> Hrm, Still rather confusing.

Yeah. It seems like a bad idea if the distribution "name" doesn't
include sufficient information to tell which version it contains.
I had in mind a convention like "distribution version x.y.z always
contains extension version x.y". Seems like minor version versus
major version would be the way to explain that.