Re: pg_dump fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lorenzo Thurman <lorenzo(at)thethurmans(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump fails
Date: 2005-04-19 06:01:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Lorenzo Thurman <lorenzo(at)thethurmans(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying that right now. I think there may be mis-match in the build
> settings between upgrades of postgresql. The "USE" settings may be at
> fault:

> - - pg-hier : Enables recursive queries like Oracle's 'CONNECT
> BY' feature.

[ rolls eyes... ] Yup, that's Gentoo all right: throw in random patches
that have been rejected by the upstream developers. Now that I think
about it, this failure is exactly what that patch is known to cause,
because it makes an incompatible change in Query structures and hence
in on-disk view rule representation.

> I think these may have been changed since the original install.

hacked-up version. I'm not sure why we even bother to answer support
requests from Gentoo users, when what they are using is not our
software but some randomly-modified variant. I wonder what other
brokennesses Gentoo may be including ...

(Just for the record: I work for Red Hat, which has a rather different
notion of the level of reliability it wants to ship. So take my opinion
with the appropriate grain of salt. But I'm a mite ticked off at the
moment --- you're not the first person to have been bitten by this,
and you likely won't be the last, and I think it's entirely because
Gentoo has such a low quality standard for the patches they ship.)