Re: Recommendation on bytea or blob for binary data like images

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: leon(at)oss(dot)minimetria(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recommendation on bytea or blob for binary data like images
Date: 2005-09-02 20:33:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

leon(at)oss(dot)minimetria(dot)com writes:
> Hi, I'd like to know what the official recommendation is on which binary
> datatype to use for common small-binary size use.

If bytea will work for you, it's definitely the thing to use. The only
real drawback to bytea is that there's currently no API to read and
write bytea values in a streaming fashion. If your objects are small
enough that you can load and store them as units, bytea is fine.

BLOBs, on the other hand, have a number of drawbacks --- hard to dump,
impossible to secure, etc.