Elaborate on phrase "table metadata" in the Notes section of ALTER by specifying pg_attribute

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: amin(at)gilani(dot)me
Subject: Elaborate on phrase "table metadata" in the Notes section of ALTER by specifying pg_attribute
Date: 2024-09-11 20:12:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-altertable.html

I am newish to Postgres, and the term "table metadata" was confusing to
me.

I am more than happy to submit a patch for this. I'm just unfamiliar with
the process. Please advise.

> When a column is added with ADD COLUMN and a non-volatile DEFAULT is
specified, the default is evaluated at the time of the statement and the
result stored in the table's metadata. That value will be used for the
column for all existing rows. If no DEFAULT is specified, NULL is used. In
neither case is a rewrite of the table required.

Specifically this sentence: "the result stored in the table's metadata"

Suggest adding specific language to correct it to "the result stored in the
table's metadata. See `pg_attribute` for more information."

Once again, I am more than happy to submit a patch for this.

Thank you