Re: UUID generation problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca
Cc: "Adrian Klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID generation problem
Date: 2020-10-05 14:53:20
Lists: pgsql-general

"James B. Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca> writes:
> idempiere=# select uuid_generate_v4();
> ERROR: function uuid_generate_v4() does not exist
> LINE 1: select uuid_generate_v4();
> ^
> HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to
> add explicit type casts.
> idempiere=# select public.uuid_generate_v4();
> uuid_generate_v4
> --------------------------------------
> 87f70b3b-4dc5-4775-b8f7-b7a351e7b97b
> (1 row)

That seems to show quite definitively that public is not in your
search_path, which contradicts the current_schemas() result you
gave earlier. I continue to suspect that you are somehow
confusing yourself by testing in different databases and/or
with different user accounts.

Possibly connected to this is that the "#" mark in your psql
prompt implies that you are running as superuser. I sure
hope you are not letting your application do that.