Re: ssh tunneling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jacobo Sánchez López <jsanchez(at)denodo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ssh tunneling
Date: 2024-01-24 16:39:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

=?UTF-8?Q?Jacobo_S=C3=A1nchez_L=C3=B3pez?= <jsanchez(at)denodo(dot)com> writes:
> Maybe the original message is about SSH proxy instead of tunneling?
> The PostgreSQL protocol makes a SSH upgrade instead of starting the
> communication with SSH handshake and that is a problem when using some
> SSH proxies/load balancers which are nowadays common in cloud
> environments. I also wish there was a way to connect directly to a SSH
> socket but that is not about the driver but how PostgreSQL communication
> protocol I guess.

FYI, there's some work going on to make it possible to begin the
connection with an SSL handshake:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAM-w4HOEAzxyY01ZKOj-iq=M4-VDk=vzQgUsuqiTFjFDZaebdg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com

If you'd like to see that move along, review and especially
testing of the proposed patch would help make it happen.