Re: question about upper limit on TEXT size

From: Cindy <ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: question about upper limit on TEXT size
Date: 2002-08-13 21:26:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane writes:
>Cindy <ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu> writes:

>> 7.2, on Solaris:
>
>Hmph --- that certainly shouldn't have any trouble with a measly 50K
>text value.

My thought, too :*)

>I wonder if you've somehow managed to turn off TOASTing
>on this column? Could we see the output of
> select * from pg_class where relname = 'searches';

relname | reltype | relowner | relam | relpages | reltuples | rellongrelid | r
elhasindex | relisshared | relkind | relnatts | relchecks | reltriggers | reluke
ys | relfkeys | relrefs | relhaspkey | relhasrules | relacl
----------+---------+----------+-------+----------+-----------+--------------+--
-----------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------+-------------+-------
---+----------+---------+------------+-------------+-------------------
searches | 0 | 3895 | 0 | 10 | 1000 | 0 | t
| f | r | 8 | 0 | 0 |
0 | 0 | 0 | f | f | {"=","wwwd=arwR"}
(1 row)

(sorry for the poor formatting...that's pretty much how it appears
on my terminal)

>and also the output of
> select attname,attstorage from pg_attribute where attrelid =
> (select oid from pg_class where relname = 'searches');

attname | attstorage
------------------+------------
cmax | p
cmin | p
ctid | p
date_lastupdated | p
date_saved | p
id | p
oid | p
parameters | p
search_name | p
search_type | p
temporary | p
uid | p
xmax | p
xmin | p
(14 rows)

>Do you see the same failure if you try to INSERT the data into
>a freshly-created table, using the exact CREATE TABLE command you
>just showed us?

That's exactly what I did prior to sending out mail to the list...I dropped
the table and re-created it.

--Cindy
--
ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu