Re: PL/PgSQL composite parameter usage?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Patrick Higgins <phiggins(at)brazen(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/PgSQL composite parameter usage?
Date: 2003-12-15 21:44:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Patrick Higgins <phiggins(at)brazen(dot)net> writes:
> I read in the documentation (section 37.4.3 of the 7.4 docs) that
> "Parameters to a function can be composite types," but when I try to
> call such a function, I get an error.

This isn't really an issue of what a parameter can be, but a reflection
of plpgsql's rather limited ability to deal with composite-type
variables. It doesn't know how to pass whole rows down to the SQL
engine, as it would need to do in your PERFORM:

> test'> v tablea;

> test'> PERFORM funcb(v);

This could probably get fixed if anyone was really motivated to do so.