Re: Why is it not using an index?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>
Cc: "Jean-Luc Lachance" <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>, "PostgreSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is it not using an index?
Date: 2002-03-15 21:00:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

"Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com> writes:
> It should be. I think the response you'll get from the people on this list
> is that they're happy to accept a patch...

It's not as easy as you might think to come up with a general-purpose
solution --- bearing in mind that Postgres is supposed to support an
extensible set of datatypes, and so we'd prefer not to hard-wire much
knowledge of specific datatypes into the parser.

If you look back a year or two in the pghackers archives, you'll find
previous discussions and failed solution proposals. It's still on the
TODO list, and eventually someone will come up with a usable answer.