Stability, PR

From: "Reuven M(dot) Lerner" <reuven(at)lerner(dot)co(dot)il>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Stability, PR
Date: 2002-05-22 21:42:03
Lists: pgsql-general

I've been using PostgreSQL for several years now, and have been
extremely happy during that entire time period.

Over the last 4-6 weeks, however, several potential clients
questioning my choice of PostgreSQL, saying that it has a reputation
for instability. These comments didn't come from people who are
against using open-source software; my choice of Linux, Apache,
mod_perl, Zope, or OpenACS (depending on the project) was generally
applauded.

I've managed to convince each of these clients that PostgreSQL is
indeed a reliable database. But I I still have to wonder: Is there
any truth to these statements? Is it simply FUD, or was PostgreSQL
once prone to data corruption?

Given the frequency with which I've heard such claims from otherwise
well-informed people, I'm wondering if there's anything we users can
(or should) do to counter this misinformation.

Reuven