Re: Two different defs of MAX_TUPLES_PER_PAGE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two different defs of MAX_TUPLES_PER_PAGE
Date: 2005-09-02 17:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Don't you think about PageHeaderData?

I doubt it's really worth taking into account ... we can though.

> Also I guess a floor definition is ok
> because 'number of tuples' is an integer.

Right, now that I'm more awake I agree with that ;-)

>> Also, is this something that should be in a common header file? If so
>> which one? BLCKSZ, HeapTupleHeaderData, and ItemIdData are all defined
>> in different places ...

> Considering include-hierarchy, I think bufpage.h is a good place.

No, that's a pretty bad place because it violates the module hierarchy:
access is on top of storage. None of the include/storage files know
what a HeapTupleHeader looks like.

I think we can just put it in htup.h, since that includes bufpage.h
already. Will make it happen.