Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petre Scheie <petre(dot)scheie(at)nextelpartners(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Perl on HPUX
Date: 2003-02-04 17:11:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Petre Scheie <petre(dot)scheie(at)nextelpartners(dot)com> writes:
> When I run './configure --with-perl' for 7.3.1 on an HPUX 11.0 system I
> get the error about it not being able to build PL/Perl because libperl
> is not a shared library, as mentioned in the installation docs. In my
> case, I installed perl 5.8 using the package from the HP Porting &
> Archive Center. The doc for 7.3.1 suggests that libperl IS a shared
> library for most 'recent perl versions', so it seems like it should
> work. But it doesn't.

Well, is it? Do you have a libperl.sl, or just libperl.a?

Personally I have no problem with plperl on HPUX 10.20, but I build Perl
from source so that I can tell its configure script to build a shared
library. Last time I did that, which was perl 5.8.0, shared library was
still *not* the default choice. I have no idea what the Porting Center
chose for their build, but you should easily be able to tell from the
installed filename.