Re: Default user 'postgres' not mentioned in the documentation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: xof(dot)it(at)chof(dot)ch
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default user 'postgres' not mentioned in the documentation?
Date: 2019-12-22 16:17:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I'm a newbie and may be asking stupid questions... but
> shouldn't it be mentioned in the official documentation on this page
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/postgres-user.html
> that postgresql upon installation automatically creates a system-user that's
> called 'postgres' ?

No, because Postgres as distributed by us does no such thing.

Many vendors' packagings of Postgres create such a user (as is also
often true of their packagings of other service-type software). But
it's up to the package's documentation to tell you about that. Look
for a README-type file installed by the package.