Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist
Date: 2006-01-19 00:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:10 , Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> It would definately be nice if the end-user concept of column order
> wasn't tied to the physical order in the database.

Tom Lane has mentioned at least a couple of times that decoupling the
(SQL-required) logical order from the physical order is probably
pretty hairy and would lead to easy to make and hard to track down
bugs and I don't doubt that it's pretty detailed and complicated
work. If someone were so inclined, they could probably look into this
more closely and see what it would take to create a clean, easy-to-
use and easy-to-maintain interface between the physical and logical
data representation (including column order).

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com