Re: database-level lockdown

From: Filipe Pina <filipe(dot)pina(at)impactzero(dot)pt>
To: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database-level lockdown
Date: 2015-07-03 17:25:21
Lists: pgsql-general

So, as database level locks do not exist (as per
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_database), I've thought of having
a function that would lock *every* table in the database (far from the
same, but would probably work for me).

Something like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION lockdown()
RETURNS void AS $$
DECLARE
t information_schema.tables.table_name%TYPE;
BEGIN
FOR t in SELECT table_name
FROM information_schema.tables
WHERE table_schema='public'
AND table_type='BASE TABLE'
LOOP
EXECUTE 'LOCK ' || t;
END LOOP;
END
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

But the problem is that calling the function starts its own transaction
and once it returns, locks are removed..

Basically the workflow is (pseudo code coming from
Django/python/psycopg2/external, not within pgsql):

function generic_function_restarter(developer_function) {
# try 4 times to execute developer function and if all of them fail
# (due to SQLSTATE 40001 serialization failures),
# lock database and execute one last time
for 1 in [1..4] {
try {
call developer_function()
return 'success'
}
except SQLSTATE_40001 {
continue
}
except other_error {
return other_error
}

# only reaches here if all tries failed with SQLSTATE_40001
try {
START TRANSACTION
call lockdown()
call developer_function()
COMMIT TRANSACTION
return 'success'
}
except any_error {
# implicit ROLLBACK
return any_error
}
}

So, my problem here is that "call lockdown()" will place the locks and
remove them upon returning... Is it possible to execute a function
without creating a subtransaction?

I could place the locks from the adapter directly at the outter
transaction level but I have the feeling that performance would be
worse...

Thanks,
Filipe