Re: pg_locks needs a facelift

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_locks needs a facelift
Date: 2005-05-04 03:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:22:08AM -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> 1998 when the oid played a larger role, it is now quite rightly
>> deprecated and my intention is to remove it from the userlock module.

> I wish you wouldn't since http://rrs.decibel.org uses it.

Don't worry, I'll veto any immediate removal of functionality ;-)

The correct way to handle this is to add some better userlock
functionality and deprecate what's there. We can remove the crufty
stuff in a release or three after it's been officially deprecated
... but there is no reason to remove it immediately. It won't conflict
with a better version, just exist alongside.