Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

From: "John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com, "Cott Lang" <cott(at)internetstaff(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Date: 2004-01-22 17:30:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane said:
> The planned PITR feature would not require you to take anything offline.
> The whole concept of an "offline" database is an Oracle-ism that I see
> no value in emulating.

> I dunno what a "dump file" would equate to in Postgres terms, but yeah,
> we're envisioning using ordinary filesystem tools (tar, say) as the
> mechanism for handling a baseline backup.

(I think) that was the point I was trying to make. Oracle lets you backup
while up and running (using export) OR when offline (copying db files)...

However, it looks like postgres will require a file system level backup to
recover from. Or will you be able to build a new db from the dump file,
and then apply the WAL segments?

John Sidney-Woollett