Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Adrien Nayrat <adrien(dot)nayrat(at)anayrat(dot)info>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)
Date: 2018-12-26 20:19:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> I'm beginning to think that the technique that I came up with to make
> "getting tired" deterministic ought to be supporting as a debugging
> option if we're to do away with internal use of the generic/seedable
> backend PRNG.

I have no objection to providing such a thing as a debug option; I just
don't want it to be reachable from SQL (at least not without pieces
that aren't there normally, e.g. a loadable C function).

Replacing random() might actually make that easier not harder, since
we'd have more control over what happens when.