Re: Detecting change in event properties

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting change in event properties
Date: 2013-10-25 21:47:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Elliot wrote
> Maybe a custom aggregate that takes the last item in a set?
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.last_agg ( anyelement, anyelement )
> RETURNS anyelement LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE STRICT AS $$
> SELECT $2;
> $$;
>
> CREATE AGGREGATE public.last (
> sfunc = public.last_agg,
> basetype = anyelement,
> stype = anyelement
> );

Conceptually similar to my array_last_nonnull(array_agg(...)) methodology
and the GUC methodology but has the advantage of saving minimal state
(compared to the array_agg()) and not abusing GUC for storage of the
single-value state.

The example would need the same alteration to the frame clause but otherwise
would appear to work in the manner presumed by the OP's original question.

David J.