Re: Which is faster SQL or PL/PGSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Michael Pohl <pgsql(at)newtopia(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, "George A(dot)J" <jinujosein(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Which is faster SQL or PL/PGSQL
Date: 2003-10-20 19:50:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> While we're on the topic, anyone know any good ways to speed up EXECUTE
>> statements in PL/pgSQL functions?

> Never tried it, but is it possible to use a prepared statement inside a
> PL/pgSQL function?

You could probably EXECUTE prepare and execute statements, but I don't
see the point --- this would just be an extremely tedious way of
duplicating plpgsql's normal query-plan-caching behavior.

AFAICS, the whole point of EXECUTE in plpgsql is that it doesn't take
any shortcuts, and so the answer to Josh's question can only be "don't
use EXECUTE"...