Re: Prepping to break every past release...

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepping to break every past release...
Date: 2009-03-04 21:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 21:14 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> > *Shrug* long term consistency is the better choice.
>
> Easy to say if you're not one of the people for whom such a change
> would mean weeks of recoding, the need to start QA'ing everything from
> scratch again and a hideous mess of code to cope with after adding
> support for a new version with a different catalog schema.

It is not easy to say. It is correct to say. I am under no illusion that
this will not be painful. As far as "man weeks of recoding". Sorry, I
know that will be tough.

> Besides - what percentage of users ever go anywhere near the
> catalogs? I'd guess a fraction of a percent of users, and maybe 1 - 5%
> of developers.

Any DBA worth his salt uses system catalogs. Lowering the barrier on
uses these catalogs will lead to better and more useful tools as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997