Re: Seeking Insights on Choosing the Right CPU and RAM for PostgreSQL Setup

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Muhammad Ikram <mmikram(at)gmail(dot)com>, Veerendra Pulapa <veerendra(dot)pulapa(at)ashnik(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seeking Insights on Choosing the Right CPU and RAM for PostgreSQL Setup
Date: 2024-07-19 07:11:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Veerendra Pulapa wrote:

> We’re currently evaluating hardware options for our PostgreSQL setup,
> specifically focusing on CPU and RAM.
>
> Yes, the previous email was generic without specific details. However,
> I would appreciate guidance on sizing based on the following specifics:
>
> 1. Database size: Approximately 5TB.
> 2. Current TPS (Transactions Per Second): 1000-1500 TPS.
> 3. Read-write ratio: 60-40%.
> 4. Configuration: It’s a three-node setup.
> 5. Concurrent users: Typically between 300-350.

The concurrent users are not so relevant, but the expected number of
concurrent SQL statements is. That determines how many CPU cores you need.

With many transaction, you mostly need powerful, fast storage.

The answer to RAM is always: the more, the better. It is impossible to
be certain, but going lower than 64 or 128 GB is probably not a good idea.

You are speaking of "current TPS", which sound like you already have a
system running, perhaps with a different database system. That's useful:
if you are currently happy with the performance, size the PostgreSQL machine
similarly.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe